Date Posted: 7/09/20 Job Description:
We are currently seeking an Environmental Technician/Treatment Plant Operator to operate the groundwater extraction, treatment, and recharge (GETR) system at the Naval Air Station Whidbey Island (NASWI) in Oak Harbor, WA, and provide maintenance to the Area 6 Landfill Cap per contract requirements.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for day-to-day operations, maintenance, monitoring, and management of the groundwater remediation system. Duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide periodic cleaning and maintenance of the air stripping tower, equalization tank, groundwater extraction wells, effluent discharge swale, and connecting piping.
• Other routine maintenance such as hydro jetting underground piping, groundwater well development and cleaning, pressure washing, cleaning/replacing filters, minor plumbing repairs, equipment lubrication, electrical and/or SCADA troubleshooting, and routine system control checks.
• Maintain Area 6 Landfill Cap, surrounding roads, and property per Navy specifications, including vegetation control, road maintenance, erosion control and repair, control of invasive vegetation, and pesticide application.
• Act as lead operator and site supervisor; supervise other technicians during on-site work.
• Act as Site Safety and Health Officer, follow and help develop site-specific safety plans per OHSA HAZWOPER regulations.
• Conduct daily safety meetings, oversee site workers and/or subcontractors for compliance to safety protocol.
• Be responsible for chemical storage and handling and related hazard communication.
• Follow project plans to conduct tests and field investigations to obtain data for use by environmental, engineering, and scientific personnel in determining sources and methods of controlling pollutants in water and soil, utilizing knowledge of scientific principles and applied technologies.
• Maintain, calibrate, and utilize multi-parameter meters, such as water quality and air quality meters.
• Collect samples from groundwater wells, surface water, raw and processed water, industrial wastewater, or water from other sources. Collect soil or sediment samples.
• Prepare samples for shipping, coordinate with laboratories, record data, and prepare field reports for review.
• Conduct inspections, review institutional controls and maintenance requirements at facilities, including impervious covers, vegetated areas, fencing, signage, and shoreline condition.
• The ideal candidate will have more than 5 years of experience in construction related projects, and at least 2 years’ experience with remediation systems operation and maintenance, or other wastewater treatment plant experience.
• Candidate must be self-motivated with exceptional oral/written communication skills, flexibility, adaptability, and the willingness to learn.
• Candidate must be comfortable working in both an office, field, and industrial environment.
• Candidate must be able to work as a team member across technical disciplines, and must be able to adhere to schedules, scopes, and budgets, as well as EA’s project management and quality standards.
Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license and be a U.S. Citizen with the ability to receive clearance at U.S. Military Installations.
Training and Education:
• A B.S. or A.A. degree in environmental science or a related discipline is preferred.
• 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER Certification
• 30-hour OSHA Construction Certification
Why Join EA?
At EA, our core values are openness, prudence, balance, and challenge and we strive to improve the quality of the environment in which we live, one project at a time. Our engineering team works cohesively across all of EA’s service lines. Our professional, team-centric culture promotes collaboration and flexibility and allows employees to guide their own career development path. To that end, we provide training and coaching to support ongoing development for our project managers and consulting engineers.
We have a tremendous base of positive client relationships, working hand in hand every day with public works and operations managers in government and industry, supporting their efforts to improve their performance and achieve their business and organizational goals. This has resulted in a stable backlog of projects and opportunities for growth.
What We Offer
EA Engineering, Science, and Technology, Inc., PBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected Veteran status.
Location: Seattle,WA Employment Type: 40hr FT